023 - Jan 20, 2019
Back at it again!
Last week I worked on the equipment system that allows players (and some entities) to wear and hold things such as clothing and weapons.
I got almost all of the backend finished, but there's still work left to be done on the front end.
I also did some work on the assets / graphics side of things.
I made a human rig in Blender and made a basic walk animation. It'll certainly need to get re-done, but it's enough to get an alpha of the game live.
I also made a quick mesh for a human - again just to have something in place for an alpha release - it'll need to get re-done and polished.
After that I spent a little time optimizing my script that exports assets from Photoshop into a texture atlas and from Blender into the binary format that my game uses. I used rayon to parallelize the collapsing and exporting of my PSD layers into PNG files, but the real savings came from running a release build of my asset compiler instead of a debug build. This brought me from 15-20 seconds to a few seconds.
In the future when I revisit these asset compiler optimizations I'll implement caching so that we don't re-process assets that have already changed, but I'm not sure when I'll take a look at that.
terraformsetup so that my infrastructure is fully in source control
Build out the equipment frontend so that players can equip and dequip items.
Introducing lighting to improve the look and feel
See ya next time!